This competition is now closed.
Be in with a chance of winning the Jumpstart Essay Prize by submitting an article on one of the topics below!
First prize: £250
Second prize: £100
Runners up: we’ll select some of the best entries to publish on the Jumpstart website.
How does it work?
- Write a short article on one of the below topics. We’d encourage you to choose one aspect of the topic to zoom in on, and include a subtitle in your article to signal what you’re going to talk about.
- Your article should be between 250-1000 words. The length won’t impact your chances of success – just make sure your writing is clear and your reader feels intrigued, engaged, informed…
- The competition is open to current students, or anyone who graduated after 1st January 2015.
- You can only submit one article. By submitting your article, you agree that you’re happy for it to be published on the Jumpstart website, and promoted across our social media.
- The deadline for entries is 1st September 2022 at midnight GMT.
Who is eligible?
The competition is open to current students, or anyone who graduated after 1st January 2015.
- The Future Of: Food and drink
- The Future Of: Period care
- The Future Of: Education
- The Future Of: Crypto
- The Future Of: Social media
- The Future Of: Sustainability
- The Future Of: The job market
- The Future Of: AI
- The Future Of: Home ownership
- The Future Of: Travel
- The Future Of: Fashion manufacturing & production
How do Jumpstart assess the articles?
- We’re looking for well-written pieces that engage the audience.
- We’re not looking for anything overly formal, and appreciate fun and friendly writing styles as much as serious ones.
- We’re looking for interesting or unique perspectives on the world.
- We’d encourage you to zoom in on a particular aspect of your chosen topic (e.g. you might choose ‘The Future Of: Food’, but only talk about meat alternatives; or you might choose ‘The Future Of: AI’ but only talk about one specific part of AI safety.)
- Make sure your writing is accessible and understandable (read it out loud to yourself to check that it makes sense).
- Show us why we should care about the issues you’re addressing – paint a picture of the future, use examples or stories to bring your writing to life.
Jumpstart matches great people with top startups.
On our programme, 50+ startups will pitch their roles to you over Zoom. We’ll give you valuable training to help you get a job you love within weeks, and succeed once you’re in work.
We run two programmes, one for recent grads (0-2 years since graduating) and one for people with 3-6 years experience. Apply now via jumpstart-uk.com/apply.